It only takes a handful of basic ingredients to create a hot and satisfying meal that’ll feed a crowd with this Cheesy Potato Ham Casserole. There’s nothing to cook separately; once you’ve got everything sliced and layered, dinner cooks itself all afternoon long. Just pair it with a green salad and dinner is served.
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 cups cooked ham, diced
- 3 pounds potatoes, peeled and sliced (about 8 to 10 potatoes)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely minced (optional)
- 1 can (10.75 ounces) condensed mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Step 1: Peel, Slice and Grate
Prepare your ingredients: grate the cheese, slice the onions, dice the ham, peel and slice the potatoes and mince the parsley.
- If you choose to begin with slicing the potatoes (in order to get this big job out of the way!), fill your bowl with water to keep the slices from turning brown.
- A mandoline makes quick work of all the slicing required.
Step 2: Mix the Ingredients
In a medium bowl, combine the diced ham, grated cheese and sliced onions.
Use your hands to combine.
Step 3: Layer the Ingredients
Place a layer of sliced potatoes in the bottom of your slow cooker, followed by the onion, cheese and ham mixture. Repeat until both are completely gone.
Step 4: Add the Milk Mixture
In a medium bowl, combine the mushroom soup, milk, salt, pepper, garlic salt and the parsley–except for about 1/8 teaspoon to sprinkle on top when the dish is finished.
- Use the same onion, cheese and ham bowl if you like. It’ll be empty by now and you’ll save yourself from cleaning a bowl.
Pour the milk mixture over the top of your layered potatoes, ham, onions and cheese.
Step 5: Cook
Put the lid on and set your slow cooker for 4 hours on high.
Step 6: Rest and Serve
The potatoes will be piping hot, so allow them to sit for at least 10 minutes before serving. This also gives all those juices one last chance to soak into the potatoes.