The vibrant colors of this dish immediately drew me in. Fresh bright green beans with splashes of red tomato and purple onion is a gorgeous treat for the eyes. It has wonderful flavor to match.
- 2 Pounds Fresh Green Beans, washed and trimmed
- 1 Pound Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- ½ Cup Thinly Sliced Red Onion (about ½ small onion)
- ½ Pound Bacon, cooked and chopped (Can substitute with smoked almonds for vegetarians)
- 4 Ounces Crumbled Blue Cheese (Can substitute with feta cheese)
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice (juice of 1 lemon)
- 2 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt, to taste
- Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season the water with salt (it should taste as salty as a well seasoned soup).
- Place half of the green beans in the pot of boiling water and cook until they’re tender, about 3-5 minutes. While the green beans are cooking, fill a large bowl with ice water. Remove the green beans from the boiling water when tender, and immediately place them in the ice water for a few minutes to stop the cooking. This will keep them bright green and perfectly tender. Remove the green beans from the ice water and drain them on a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Repeat the process with the remaining green beans.
- Add the green beans to a bowl with the sliced cherry tomatoes and sliced red onion. Set aside.
- To make the dressing, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and black pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat.
- Serve immediately or cover the bowl and chill for up to 3 hours until you’re ready to serve it. Top with the cheese and bacon right before serving. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Allow the salad to sit dressed for at least an hour before serving so that the flavors of the dressing can sink into the vegetables.