Onions are one of the most indispensable foods in your kitchen, as they can be cooked and eaten in practically any way possible and help flavor any dish. Plus, the nutritional properties and benefits of onions make them one of the most highly recommended foods.
What nutrients are in onions?
The main component of onions, by far, is water, which can make up approximately 90% of the onion. Because of this, it might surprise you that the remaining 10% is packed full of nutrients, and those nutrients boast many health benefits.
- Essential oils are responsible for the majority of onions’ beneficial properties (which we’ll talk about more below). They’re also the reason for the annoying crying that happens when you peel or cut onions.
- Vitamins from the B group, which are necessary for the correct functioning of your nervous system and your immune system; also vitamins E and C, with powerful antioxidant action.
- Many different minerals and trace elements, such as potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, sodium, and sulphur, among others.
- Essential amino acids.
Properties of onions
One of the most well-known properties of onions is their diuretic ability, which is why onions are highly recommended to patients who suffer from kidney issues, gout or hyperuricemia, kidney stones, edema, or hypertension. Mainly for their diuretic effect, but also for their high content of water and fiber, but low amounts of fat and sugar, onions are essential to any diet.
Onions also work as an expectorant, and help to kill bacteria and fungus.Onions are wonderfully useful to people who suffer from colds, the flu, bronchitis, pharyngitis, and other respiratory illnesses. Because of this, a widely-used remedy in these cases is to place an onion cut in half at the side of your bed at night. In recent years, onions have also shown their beneficial effect in the treatment of asthma and allergies.
Onions are also a powerful heart protector, thanks to their anti-thrombosis, hypolipidemic (this is the ability to lower levels of cholesterol and triglycerides in your body), and hypotensive properties. Just for this you should always try to eat them regularly.
The most well-known of the purifying abilities of onions is most likely their ability to remove toxins and fermentation that are produced in the stomach during digestion, a process which also serves to stimulate the liver, pancreas, and vesicle in order to allow them to secrete the necessary substances. These properties only work, however, if you eat raw onions.
Although onions are great, you should avoid eating them too much if you have a weak stomach, if you suffer from acid reflux, or if you have a tendency towards flatulence or excess gas.
The benefits of eating onions are innumerable, and even here we haven’t gone over all of them, just the most relevant. Because onions are so beneficial, you should try to eat them daily in any form, but preferably raw, because this way you will be able to conserve and enjoy all of their beneficial properties.