When you think of a mug cake, you might think of one of the sweeter options. But, savory mug cakes can be made too! Not to mention, they’re pretty freakin’ awesome. Cheese really helps these things out with the texture too. It gives a more moist, more delicious, more hearty,low carb, keto and filling dish that you can actually use to replace a full meal – breakfast or lunch! Mug Muffin With Bacon, Cheese & Mushrooms – You must try this recipes.
Let us know if you liked this recipe. Try the other recipe categories as well!
Hands-on 10 minutes
Overall 15 minutes
Basic savoury mug muffin:
- 1/4 cup almond flour (25 g / 0.9 oz)
- 1/4 cup flaxmeal (38 g / 1.3 oz)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 large egg, free-range or organic
- 2 tbsp cream or coconut milk (30 ml/ 1 fl oz)
- 2 tbsp water
- pinch salt
- 4 small or 2 regular slices crisped up bacon (32 g/ 1.1 oz)
- 1/4 cup sliced mushrooms (25 g/ 0.9 oz)
- 1/2 cup diced cheddar cheese (33 g/ 1.2 oz)
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped basil or parsley
- In a pan, fry the bacon slices. Once crisped up, place on a plate, let them cool down and then crumble into small pieces.
- Pour the bacon grease – apart from 1 tablespoon – in a jar and reserve for cooking, or discard. Slice the mushrooms, add to the pan and roast them over a medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Place all the dry ingredients in a small bowl and combine well.
- Add the egg, cream, water and mix well using a fork.
- Add the crumbled bacon and roasted mushrooms and combine well.
- Divide the dough between 2 mugs or ramekins and add diced cheddar and chopped basil. Microwave on high for 60-90 seconds. When done, let it sit for 5 minutes.
Cooking in the oven: If you don’t have a microwave, I suggest you make 4-8 servings at once. Preheat the oven to 175 °C/ 350 °F and cook for about 12-15 minutes or until cooked in the centre.
Crisping up the bacon: Preheat the oven to 190 °C/ 375 °F. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Lay the bacon strips out flat on the baking paper, leaving space so they don’t overlap. Place the tray in the oven and cook for about 10-15 minutes until golden brown. The time depends on the thickness of the bacon slices. When done, remove from the oven and set aside to cool down.
Nutritional values (per serving)
Net carbs 2.7 grams
Protein 18.4 grams
Fat 37.2 grams
Calories 435 kcal
Calories from carbs 3%, protein 18%, fat 79%
Total carbs9.2 grams, Fiber6.5 grams, Sugars1.5 grams, Saturated fat13.3 grams, Sodium921 mg(40% RDA), Magnesium124 mg(31% RDA), Potassium396 mg(20% EMR).
Photo Credit By Shutterstock
Submit Your Recipe!
Please remember, We cannot accept any recipes taken from a book/website/other source. Remember that a reader should be able to take your recipe and cook from it without encountering any problems. End all recipes with a useful tip, e.g. an alternative ingredient you could use, something the dish goes well with, whether you can freeze it, etc.