Quick and easy low carb and keto skillet breakfast. It also makes for amazing leftovers. The sweetness of the caramelized onions are what really make this such an awesome breakfast casserole. Spicy Sausage and Caramelized Onion Casserole – You must try this recipes.
This low carb casserole reheats well for at least 3 days. It has all the things a good breakfast casserole should have. Lots of spicy ground sausge and cheese plus mushrooms and caramelized onions.
There’s lots of different flavors in every bite. Caramelized onions take a little time and patience to make but they are divine and they really stand out in this casserole.
Let us know if you liked this recipe. Try the other recipe categories as well!
If you like Spicy Sausage And Caramelized Onion Casserole, you can try similar recipes:
- Breakfast Casserole Recipe
- Broccoli & Chicken Casserole
- Keto Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
- Jalapeno Popper Chicken Casserole
- Easy Low Carb Mexican Chicken Lasagna Casserole
Spicy Sausage And Caramelized Onion CasseroleCourse: BreakfastCuisine: Ketogenic
The sweetness of the caramelized onions are what really make this such an awesome breakfast casserole.
3 tablespoons butter
1 large sweet onion, diced
1 pound spicy breakfast sausage
1 (8-ounce) package white mushrooms, sliced
10 large eggs
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cups shredded Colby Jack cheese
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally until golden, about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- In a second large skillet cook and crumble sausage meat. When sausage is about halfway done, add mushrooms. Continue to cook until sausage is no longer pink and mushrooms are golden brown. Let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and heavy cream. Stir in cheese, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Transfer sausage, mushrooms, and onions to a greased 7×11-inch pan. Pour egg mixture over the top.
- Bake for 40 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
- To save time, cook the onions a day in advance.
- Use regular ground sausage and make this casserole non-spicy.
- Change out the Colby Jack cheese for cheddar cheese or Swiss cheese for a different flavor.
- Be sure to keep the heat low while cooking the onions or they will burn.
Note on Nutritional Information
The content on this website should not be taken as medical advice and you should ALWAYS consult with your doctor before starting any diet or exercise program. We provide nutritional data for our recipes as a courtesy to our readers.
The website or content herein is not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose or treat any disease. This website shall not be liable for adverse reactions or any other outcome resulting from the use of recipes or recommendations on the Website or actions you take as a result. Any action you take is strictly at your own risk.
Thank you for understanding!
Submit Your Recipe!
Please remember, We cannot accept any recipes taken from a book/website/other source. Remember that a reader should be able to take your recipe and cook from it without encountering any problems. End all recipes with a useful tip, e.g. an alternative ingredient you could use, something the dish goes well with, whether you can freeze it, etc.