Almost all Bulletproof Recipes are pretty easy to make and taste far better than what you’ll find at a restaurant. They are gluten-free, almost entirely casein-free, and generally Keto. Even baked desserts are possible. Cupcakes and desserts are some of the most challenging tasks, but it can be done.
Here’s how to do it.
Step 1: Recruit an assistant
The assistant does two important things: act as a cheerleader when it looks like the eggs won’t whip right, and sample each and every ingredient before it goes in to the mixer.
Step 2: Assemble the ingredients
- Chocolate: 12 ounces 85% or darker chocolate, chopped or chips Or
- Substitute 30 Tbs (1.5 cups + 2 Tbs) chocolate powder (powdered beans) + 6 Tbs xylitol + ¾ cup of healthy fat (either grass-fed unsalted butter, grass-fed gheeor coconut oil)
- 3/4 cup unsalted grass-fed butter, room temp or at least chopped up
- 12 tablespoons erythritol or xylitol or a 50/50 mix (best)
- 2+ teaspoons vanilla extract or 1 tsp of ground vanilla beans
- Tiny pinch of pink Himalayan salt
- 6 eggs, ideally room temperature, separated
- 1 more teaspoon of cocoa powder (or very finely ground Bulletproof Coffee)
- 1 tbs sweet rice flour (do NOT use normal rice flour – gritty bleah!) Omit if you can’t find it.
Step 3: Pre-processing
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Line 18 muffin tin cups with paper liners (or, in my case since I was out of them, recruit assistant to carefully cut little paper circles to put on the bottom of the cupcake tin.)
- Powder the xylitol and erythritol in a blender. Pulse it so friction doesn’t melt the xylitol into a sticky mass! Set aside. Like this:
- Stir the dark chocolate (or substituted cocoa + fat + 6 Tbs xylitol) and ¾ cup butter in a heavy, medium sized saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until melted and smooth. Even better, use a double boiler – just don’t burn the chocolate. Remove from heat and stir often as it cools a little. Set aside.
- Make sure assistant tastes chocolate at every step of the way, using as many fingers as possible.
Step 4: Actually mix it
Mix 6 Tbs of the powdered xylitol/erythritol, salt, and all 6 egg yolks and beat on medium to high speed for about 3 minutes until you get something very thick and pale.
Using a silicon spatula if you have one, fold the egg/xylitol blend into the still warm chocolate and add vanilla and cocoa powder, Bulletproof Coffee, and sweet rice flour.
Now use a separate bowl to beat egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form. Then slowly add the 6 remaining Tbs of xylitol/erythritol and beat until medium-firm peaks form. If you use erythritol, marvel at the endothermic reaction of the erythritol with the proteins in the egg, which drops the temperature of the mixing bowl by about 20 degrees. Cool!
Now use that silicon spatula to fold the egg whites into the chocolate/egg yolk mixture. Do it in 3 or 4 steps, not all at once.
Ask assistant to sample for sweetness and smoothness. Twice.
Step 5: Pour it
Distribute the batter across the cupcake tin pans, making them about 3/4 full. Liberally spill chocolate batter so assistant can use fingers to help clean it up.
Step 6: Bake it
Bake for 11 minutes – rotate then bake for 11 more minutes.
Use a wire rack to cool completely. (except the one you give to your assistant as soon as it’s cool enough to not burn her mouth)
Distract assistant during further cooling.
Step 7: Decorate it
Ask assistant to cut out cool stencil shapes in paper, including hearts, stars, and The Bulletproof Executive logo dude (provides time for cupcakes to cool).
Place stencils on cupcakes and dust with powdered xylitol/erythritol or cocoa before serving.
Ask assistant to model the final product!
Source: By: DAVE ASPREY