Kidney stones are very painful and are normally passed on their own, but there is a need to see your doctor if you are in a lot of pain. Too much pain could imply that the stone is too large and has clogged the urinary track, which means the Doctor will decide what type of treatment is best for you and your health. Although many can pass stones naturally it is always best to consult a Doctor when dealing with this type of health issue. Things That Can Help You Take A Pass On Kidney Stones.
Kidney stones are formed from mineral deposits in the kidneys and even in the urinary bladder. Stones are usually made from minerals and acid salts and could range from as small as a grain of sand or rice to as huge as a golf ball. Kidney stones may also develop into an irregularly shaped material inside the kidney which could be very painful and damaging to the kidneys. Irregular shaped stones can scrape the walls of the kidney or bladder and lead to bleeding or infections. The most common cause of kidney stone formation is an increased concentration of minerals in the urine. These minerals settle along the walls of the kidneys or the bladder and stick together to form kidney stones.
Pain of passing a kidney stone
It could be very painful to pass kidney stones especially when these stones are large and irregular in size. When a kidney stone starts to pass, the pain will typically occur suddenly and without any signs. Sharp, stabbing pain usually develops in your side or back, typically in the kidney area. Then, the pain will travel downward into the genital area until you finish urinating. The sufferer will feel better after that. Most of the sufferers will require pain relievers or medication to help them when passing a kidney stones.
How to pass kidney stones?
Kidney stones may be removed from the body using different ways and this could be according to the stone’s size and composition. Natural ways to remove kidney stones are ways that do not use chemicals, drugs and surgical procedures to pass stones from the body. However, before learning the many possible natural ways to remove stones is there is no natural technique that can totally remove existing stones especially large stones (larger than 8 mm). Only surgical removal is the most successful technique of removing large and irregular kidney stones.
Drinking more fluids
Increasing your water or fluid intake in a day could help dilute the kidneys and the urinary bladder. It could also prevent the formation of small stones and may also help dissolve smaller stones so these may be passed safely out of the body via the urine. Increasing your fluid intake from 8 to 10 glasses of water or fluids in a day could help as well as eating foods that have high water content. Foods like fruits, soups, gelatin and teas are perfect beverages to choose. On the other hand, drinks like carbonated drinks, sodas and caffeinated drinks must be totally avoided.
- Avoiding alcohol – Since you need to drink a lot fluids, this not necessary mean you need drink alcohol to help you pass a kidney stones. Alcohol is debilitating to your kidneys and drinking alcoholic beverages when you have been diagnosed with kidney stones will only make symptoms worse. Alcohol will also overwork your kidneys and your liver which will also affect the already weak kidneys. Stopping alcohol intake is the best. It will not just help you prevent developing kidney stones in the future but will also improve your overall health.
What you eat may also help you naturally pass out kidney stones. Foods like asparagus, Brussels sprouts, tomatoes, lettuce and blueberries are just some of the foods that are known to be natural diuretics or foods that will stimulate the kidneys from producing more urine. The most common characteristics of all these foods is that all have high potassium and manganese content which naturally helps the body remove fluids through urination. You may eat these foods on their own or you may include them in recipes and salads. Including these foods in your meal everyday will eventually help you prevent the formation of new kidney stones.
Using natural remedies
There are countless natural remedies and traditional techniques that are known to be effective in the removal of smaller kidney stones. Before trying any treatment, be sure to consult your doctor beforehand.
- Lemon juice and olive oil – 2 ounces of freshly-squeezed lemon juice together with 2 ounces of olive oil are known to reduce the symptoms of kidney stones. This mixture is added to 12 ounces of water and must be taken every hour until pain is reduced.
- Urva ursi – is a traditional remedy for kidney stones and not only will it help reduce pain but will also treat kidney and bladder infections caused by kidney stones. It also promotes urinary system health and as a tonic for the kidneys, liver and the pancreas. Urva ursi is available in capsule form, teas and extracts.
- Pomegranate juice – natural pomegranate juice have so many health benefits. The seeds as well as the juice of the lowly pomegranate contain natural chemicals that will help stimulate the kidneys to produce more urine. The best way to take advantage of the pomegranate’s amazing therapeutic properties is to drink freshly squeezed pomegranate juice using a juicer.
- Using magnesium supplements – magnesium supplements are known to reduce the symptoms of kidney stones in people who are diagnosed with the illness. You can help prevent smaller stones from developing into large stones and to reduce pain and inflammation caused by stones as well.
Read More: Home Remedies For Kidney Stones
Possibly one of the most successful ways to remove kidney stones is the use of sound waves. Lithotripsy is a method wherein a person is immersed in a tub full of water, sound waves are applied on the water and this in turn vibrate the stones in an effort to crush or to disintegrate stones into smaller bits. This treatment may be recommended by a doctor according to the size and the location of the stones.
How long does it take to pass kidney stones?
It may depend on the type of stone, the size and the method used to break up stones. If you are using natural methods to break stones up it can take a while to eventually do these treatments will be able to prevent stones from forming in the future. Surgical procedures guarantee removal of stones but kidney stones may still form after the procedure. Thus combining natural and surgical methods should be considered by a physician.
Naturally kidney stones that are smaller and are just beginning to form are the easiest to break and pass out of the body via the urine. Larger and more complicated stones will never be able to break up and pass out. Stones that have formed in the calyces of the kidneys are also very difficult to pass whereas minute kidney stones that have developed near the entrance to the bladder are the easiest.
Other ways to pass kidney stones
Smaller stones that cause minimal pain, bleeding and discomfort may be treated using medical therapy. Medications called alpha blockers may help relax the muscles of the kidneys to allow stones to be easily passed.
There is NO Over-The-Counter product that can help you to pass a kidney stones at least to our knowledge. Some people take pain relievers just to ease the pain. And just that. In fact, doctors do not recommend taking NSAID when passing kidney stones. It will make more damage to your kidneys and possibly the internal organs as well.
Surgical removal on the other hand is recommended for larger stones causing severe symptoms. Surgery using a small scope which is inserted into the back of the patient is used to remove stones that that are bigger. The scope gives the surgeon direct access to the stone and a tool is inserted via the scope to break up or snag the stone. (Ureteroscopy or Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy)
The best approach to kidney stone treatment is prevention. This includes drinking water, eating foods that have low oxalate levels and eating foods low in salt and protein to totally avoid aggravating kidney stone growth and symptoms. The best resource on the ideal diet plan for avoiding kidney stones is a dietician. Your doctor may also advice avoiding alcohol intake and other lifestyle tweaks to finally treat kidney stones symptoms for good.
Natural Treatments – Recipe
Ginger Tea: Dissolves Kidney Stone
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Coconut milk, to taste
- Raw organic honey, to taste
Bring water to boil. Add ginger and turmeric, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes
Stir in milk and strain tea into a cup. Add honey to taste!