Cauliflower is having a culinary moment. Whether it’s riced, grilled, steamed, or roasted, chefs around the globe have found innovative and delicious ways to present broccoli’s versatile cousin. Turmeric Roasted Cauliflower With Activated Charcoal And Goji Berries is no exception, offering the perfect balance between sweet and salty while honoring the smokiness of roasting-induced char and spicy turmeric.
For the turmeric ghee and the activated charcoal tahini:
- 1pound unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/3cup finely grated fresh turmeric or ground turmeric
- 1cup tahini
- 1tablespoon activated charcoal
- Lemon juice and salt, for seasoning
- For the turmeric ghee, place the butter in a medium saucepan and melt, stirring occasionally, until you see a thick white foam develop on the surface. When the butter starts to simmer, turn the heat to low and cook for 5 minutes without stirring. Then scrape the sides of the pan: The liquid should become clearer and brown milk solids should appear at the bottom. Keep scraping the pan. The bubbles should get larger. When the butter starts to develop a white foam on the surface for a second time, the ghee is finished.
- Take the saucepan off the heat, pour over a sieve, and mix the turmeric into the strained, pure butter.
- To make the activated charcoal tahini, pour the ingredients into a bowl and mix until well combined. Season with lemon juice and salt.
For the finished dish:
- 2heads cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3cup turmeric ghee (from above)
- 1/2teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1/2teaspoon black pepper, or more to taste
- 1tablespoon activated charcoal tahini (from above), or more to taste
- 1/3cup goji berries
- Heat the oven to 475° F and line two sheet pans with parchment paper.
- Coat the cauliflower in olive oil and ghee and season with salt and pepper. Distribute on sheet pans and roast in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until the florets are beginning to char.
- Lightly coat the cauliflower with the tahini, adding more to taste. Adjust for salt, pepper, and lemon juice, then garnish with goji berries and serve.