A common misconception among a lot of stay-at-home moms and housewives is that their house work keeps them fit. Although being a mom and a home maker is a full-time job with the stress levels of any other profession, the physical exertion part of it is still minimal. Stay-at-home moms need to work out to stay fit! This is important because years of restricting yourself to work around the house can be harmful in the long run. Workout Tips For Stay-At-Home Moms.
Exercise With the Kids
- Include them in the workout. Create rolled-up sock “dumbbells” so they can copy your exercises. If they’re old enough and coordinated, have them hold very light weights or water bottles and have them exercise with you.
- Take them for walks or bike rides. This is an obvious one, I know, but it’s one of the simplest things and one way everyone can have a good time while staying active.
- Play games. These days, there are lots of games out there that involve physical activity, something everyone can do together.
- Make chores into a workout. One client, has her kids help her in the yard and they have contests to see who can rake the most leaves or sweep the sidewalk the fastest.
Wear Your Workout Clothes All Day
One common issue many of my stay-at-home clients have is finding big chunks of time for workouts. Even trying to hop on the treadmill or do a quick 30-minute video while the kids nap can be tough.
- Gets you in the mood. Just wearing your workout clothes may motivate you to work harder even if you’re just doing chores around the house. Plus, you can get sweaty and you don’t have to worry about it.
- Makes workouts easier. You’re always ready for a quick workout or walk whenever time allows. Janine uses every little bit of time for short bouts of exercise, 10 minutes of cardio here or a quick core workout there…it all adds up
- Reminds you of your goal to exercise. Wearing your workout clothes is a reminder to get some kind of exercise in, no matter how short.
Make Everything Count
If you find you don’t have time for continuous exercise or that you’ve missed a workout, that doesn’t mean you can’t get in some activity. Try these ideas:
- Run the stairs. One client, said he adds extra laps on the stairs when doing chores or chasing the kids around.
- Add more walking. Another client, A client races through the grocery store to burn extra calories. In the winter, she walks with the kids at the mall.
- Incorporate strength training all day long. One stay at home dad does pushups with one of his kids on his back. Another client does lunges, squats and other exercises while she’s cooking dinner or when bending over to pick up toys or clothes. It all counts!
It all counts. What ideas can you come up with in your own life?
Have Workout Ideas and Options Ready
This makes it to the top of our list simply because of its convenience. Gymming is the best option for stay-at-home moms because it’s efficient, it ensures you stay fit and you can schedule it anywhere in your daily time table. Gymming is extremely flexible as all it requires is an hour or two in an entire day. The best part about gymming is that it not only burns fat and makes your heart healthier but also tones your body and gets you in shape!
Nothing can get you as fresh in the morning as a good run. And the best time to do this is before the house wakes up and begins the daily chaos! Getting out early in the morning can do wonders for your mood and body and will keep you relaxed throughout the day. If you cannot find the time in the morning, try going for evening walks or jogs. But do better than the slow trudging that most women do nowadays. Get your heart beating and blood pumping with a jog around the block!
Yoga is the best option if you are really short of time. A quick 30 minutes of yoga can have you up and about as fresh as a flower. Yoga does not exert your body too much and definitely has good effects in the long run. Practicing yoga regularly can make you more focused, will improve your flexibility and improve blood circulation. Try and get other moms in your area to join you, and start a yoga club!
Though most people consider aerobics outdated, one cannot deny that it was effective, fun and convenient! Many moms and housewives still swear by aerobics. Aerobics can give you a workout that is more than sufficient to keep you fit. And it can be fun as a group activity with other moms is a great opportunity to socialize as well. Aerobics keeps you looking fit, hot and in tune with the latest dance tracks!
Now a common feature in many housing societies in urban cities of India, exercise clubs are the perfect option for stay at home moms and housewives today. There are different types of exercise clubs like cycling clubs, dancing clubs, spinning clubs etc. that believe in the theory that working out as a group is more effective than working out alone. Such clubs are ideal because working out as a team can keep you motivated! If you do not know of such a club in your area, start one! Being part of a cycling or aerobics club can really be good for your health, both mental and physical.